Why is DataServiceState only on WP7?

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I mean this is a great feature that would be useful on all platforms, the problem it solves is even more visible on wpf and silverlight applications. I will try to take the code and implement it for WPF but whis is a great feature and it shouldn't be something that we each should homebrew.

Coordinator
Dec 5, 2011 at 8:24 PM

The problem it is intended to solve is to handle Tombstoning in a phone app. What do you want to use it for on WPF and SL apps?

Shayne

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2011 at 11:53 PM

for the same thing. Applcations with master/detail forms, where keeping track of what changed in the child form and reversing it when the user presses cancel is harder than just saving a state of the context with all its entities and if the user changes his mind going back to that state. This would greatly increase developing speed. Is there any other simple way to do what I just described? You use it for saving when getting a call, but i see more use in this.

May 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM
I can come back and say that DataServiceState is something that should be accessible to all platforms. I manged to make generic undo functions, where the programmer just says cancelled = true and the entire undo happens automatically, he has to write a single line of code for huge forms with dozens of entities to revert to their previous state, while saving in the database just when the user wants to. It also allows offline saving when the user does not have a connection and any kind of manipulation, like custom versioning of data. The potential is huge for this feature. As the wcf library evolved since this open-source version, having all this functionality now based on DataServiceState we find ourselves with the problem that we can't upgrade. A real shame.